Thursday, January 26, 2012

Bath Day with a New Dryer


Mundane tasks generally bore me to pieces. Vacuuming, grocery shopping, ironing to name a few. I know some people claim they enjoy these tasks and up until a year or so ago I thought they were fibbing. Now I have discovered a mundane task that I actually enjoy....bathing my dogs!  Bath day is generally Sunday but we got a little off schedule due to the dog show in Novi. Instead, it was yesterday.

It looks like the girls actually are beginning to enjoy the process too because they all followed me into the basement where the only things we do are get baths and practice conformation.

As an early Christmas gift to myself I bought a dryer...an Air Force Commander with a 4 HP engine. It is so strong I have to place the dog's crate several yards away or they risk their hair getting blown off. Not really but the thing is really strong!

At first it freaked the girls out but now they are kind of used to it. Each week their protests weaken. Lots of treats help and being consistent with bathing them is also a good idea. By alternating dogs with bathing and blow drying I can get all three of them done in the time it used to take one. It is actually a vacuum cleaner engine so it sounds like the vacuum which my girls have never really minded. Again, exposing them to this common household machine early-on is a good idea.

I started to say how much I now enjoy grooming but it's not really because of the new blow dryer. It has become kind of a zen thing for me...the brushing, the one-on-one chat time, the bathing when I give them each a little massage and let my mind drift to a calm, thought-soothing place.

No comments: